Dana 44 / GM 8.5" 10 Bolt Ball Joint Eliminator Upper ("old school" Dana 44's)
- Dana 44 ball joint eliminator
- Massive 1.125"!
- Bronze bushing
- Requires welding
- Off-road use only
- No camber or caster adjustment (set at 0 degrees)
- Will ship USPS (if the shipping charge is too much we will do a return for the shipping difference once shipped)
- (2) kits required per axle
- Made in the U.S.A.!!!
- If you need lower ball joints:
- RCV axle shaft information:
- Ford outer knuckle applications RCV axle shafts fit through the knuckle and the washer can be welded on as intended
- GM, Dodge, and International outer knuckle applications can only run RCV axle shafts if you don't run the washer (because there's no way to access it to weld it). This defeats any retention keeping the joints from separating. For this reason, we recommend using Ford outer knuckles with this product if you are going to run RCV axle shafts.
- (1) upper bronze bushing
- (1) threaded "stud"
- (1) jam nut
- (1) grease fitting
- (1) washer
- 1973 - 1979 Ford Bronco, F-150, and F-250 with the Dana 44 front axle
- 1971 - 1993 Dodge Ram W100, W150, and W200 with the Dana 44 front axle
- 1976 - 1986 Jeep CJ’s with the Dana 30 front axle
- 1974 - 1991 Jeep FSJ, SJ, Wagoneer, Cherokee, J10, and J20 with the Dana 44 front axle
- 1973 - 1980 GM GMC Chevrolet K5 Blazer / Jimmy, K10, K15, K20, K25, and Suburban with the Dana 44 front axle
- 1978 - 1991 GM GMC Chevrolet K5 Blazer / Jimmy, K10, K15, K20, K25, and Suburban with the GM 8.5" 10 bolt front axle
- Ball Joint Eliminator BJED44-1
- 6 month warranty and case by case basis.
Read the instructions entirely to understand the process before beginning the work.
Remove your steering knuckle and remove the threaded camber/height adjustment sleeve from the inner C . Use of tool such as Sunex 392108 socket is recommended.
Clean the threads using a 1-1/8"-12 tap or using the threaded camber/height adjustment and spray WD40 and run it completely up and down through the upper c multiple times till the thread become clean.
Remove both the upper and lower ball joints from the steering knuckle. Press in a new lower OEM style ball joint of choice.
Use an H-frame shop press to press in the supplied bronze bushing in the kit. This is done by using the supplied steel stud as the "driver" in the bronze busing and pressing the bronze bushing in from the top side of the steering knuckle. The bronze bushing is an interference press fit and will go in tight. Be careful not to damage the bronze bushing during the pressing step. It MUST be pressed in straight to the knuckle bore to avoid damage. If it is damaged it WILL result in tight steering rotation. Once the bronze is pressed all the way in take the steel stud back out.
Take the BJE steel threaded stud, apply grease on the threads, and screw it into the under side of the inner C. The steel stud has a hex milled into it. Use an 11/16" 6 point socket to screw the stud in. Do NOT use an impact! If for some reason threads hang up, remove the steel stud, and clean the threads again. Thread the steel stud all the way in at this point.
Reassemble the knuckle by sliding the bottom ball joint and upper Ball Joint Eliminator through the lined up holes. Tighten the lower ball joint to 70 lb*ft. Adjust the upper BJE down to were it is fully seated with the bronze in the steering knuckle.
Weld the supplied washer on the bottom of the Ball Joint Eliminator (MIG or TIG). Be careful not to get the steel too warm.
Once cool, back the BJE off some to see a slight gap (~.010"-.040" ish). Install the axle shafts, outer assemblies, wheels/tires, and lower the vehicle onto the ground.
Install the grease zerks and grease the BJE with a high moly grease.
Tighten the BJE steel stud to a snug fit against the bronze to ~30 lb*ft. Maintain the steel stud rotational position while tightening the supplied jam nut to 50 lb*ft.
Terms and Conditions Disclaimer:
- For Off-Road Use Only All Ball Joint eliminators products, are sold for off-road use only. All performance modifications and installations are at the customers own risk. Ball Joint Eliminators holds no responsibility either implied or otherwise for mechanical, electrical or other failure when using any aftermarket performance products. Items sold for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road. By purchasing any aftermarket performance product, the customer takes full responsibility for any use, and/or misuse of the product and agrees that Ball Joint Eliminators holds no responsibility for any consequences, legal, or other, of such use and/or misuse.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.